BY: CHEF JANET CRAIG
By all accounts it’s going to a cold winter. So what better than to cook up some delicious, vegetarian, milk and gluten free Caribbean pumpkin soup? If you can’t find Caribbean pumpkin at your local store, sweet potatoes work too, either way it’s delicious!
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 jalapeño chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 pound pumpkin or squash (sweet potato) peeled & cubed
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 large bay leaf
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Sauté vegetables in oil until translucent. Then put in large pot with broth, milk & pumpkin or squash.
- Simmer for 1 -2 hours or place in crock- pot for 4 hours on low.
- Puree after removing bay leaf. Taste & adjust seasonings.
Chef Janet Craig’s recipes are simple, healthy, delicious and ABI friendly.
You can find out more about her HERE.