RECIPE: CHEF JANET CRAIG; PICTURES: JANET CRAIG & JOSIE COLOMA
As this Pandemic keeps sticking around, many of us have slipped into less than healthy habits. Instead of testing out new diets which may be difficult to maintain, our Chef Janet Craig suggests trying to increase your fruit and vegetable intake with simple, healthy recipes. Here, she updates an old fashioned Waldorf Salad using cauliflower – great for late winter / early spring weather!
BONUS: Our volunteer Josie Coloma generously volunteered to test out the recipe – see her pictures below!
Waldorf Salad – Serves 4
- 1 large red apple, cored and diced, tossed with 1 tbsp lemon juice (prevents browning)
- 2 large stalks celery chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower broken into small florets
- 4 green onions, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp white vinegar (rice or wine)
- 1 tsp dried basil, salt, pepper to taste.
Now the fun part: Janet adds 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese. Other optional add-ins could include green grapes sliced in half and dried red cranberries.
Chef Janet Craig recipes are simple, healthy, delicious and ABI friendly. You can find out more about her HERE.
Featured Image: Josie’s Waldorf Salad, plated. PICTURE: Josie Coloma