Featured Image description: A slice of spinach and cheese quiche with a side of vegetables drizzled with dressing on a plate
BY: JOSIE CALOMA
Quiches are French tarts filled with various, savoury fillings. Josie’s recipe is easy to follow and makes a simple yet delicious meal!
(Makes 2 Quiches)
1 small pack of sliced ham
1 small box of baby spinach
1 box of frozen pie shells (come in a package of 2)
2 cups shredded cheese (mixed cheese)
1 cooking onion
2 cloves garlic
1 pack sliced mushroom
1 red bell pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ cups of heavy cream
Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the 2 frozen pie shells on the baking tray, fork both of the shells and set aside.
- In a medium bowl add 5 eggs, heavy cream, and salt and pepper. Whisk together and set aside.
- Chop all of the vegetables and ham except the spinach.
- Preheat the frying pan and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Stir fry onions and garlic.
- Add carrots, spinach, mushroom, bell pepper into the pan and stir until the spinach softens. Strain the mixture to remove all the water.
- Place the chopped ham at the bottom of each pie shell.
- Place the vegetables in both pie shells and spread evenly. Then top each pie shell with cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture slowly and evenly in both pie shells without over-filling and place in the oven for 50 minutes. (Until golden)
Image description: (Left) 2 uncooked quiches topped with cheese on a baking tray. (Right) 2 cooked quiches topped with melted cheese on a baking tray.
Josie Caloma is a volunteer with BIST.