Featured Image Description: A plate of shrimp spring rolls with a bowl of peanut dipping sauce in the middle.
BY: JOSIE CALOMA
Shareables are great appetizer for family and friend get togethers.
Shrimp spring rolls (Gỏi Cuốn in Vietnamese) are a Vietnamese dish consisting of meats, vegetables, and noodles all in one roll. These are easy to make and can be be made in various portions to either enjoy for yourself or to share with others!
(Makes 10 shrimp spring rolls)
Peanut Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped peanuts, plus extra for sprinkling
Shrimp Spring Rolls
- 6 ounces thin rice noodles
- 10 jumbo shrimp (cooked, frozen)
- 10 round rice paper wrappers
- 10 boston lettuce leaves, thick stem ends removed, cut in half
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 20 mint leaves
- ½ cup parsley
Peanut Dipping Sauce
- In a medium bowl, whisk together hoisin sauce, peanut butter, water, rice vinegar, and peanuts until smooth. Add more water if you would like a thinner consistency.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
- In a medium pan, boil 3 litres of water.
- Add the dry rice noodles and cook until tender, about 4-6 minutes or according to package directions. Transfer to a colander and rinse with cold water, refrigerate until ready to use. Do not discard water.
- Defrost the shrimp according to the package and remove tails.
- Cut the shrimp lengthwise in half to get two pieces and set aside.
- Fill a bowl with cool water, large enough to hold the piece of rice paper.
- Set a damp dish towel on a cutting board. Immerse one rice paper sheet into the water for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Remove the rice paper, shaking off excess water and lay flat on the damp cloth. The paper becomes softer as you build the roll.
- Lay one piece of lettuce over the bottom third of the rice paper. On the lettuce, place 2 to 3 tablespoon of noodles, 1 tablespoon of carrots, 1 tablespoon of iceberg lettuce, and a few bean sprouts.
- Roll up the paper halfway into a cylinder. Fold the sides in an envelope pattern.
- Lay 2 shrimp halves, cut side down, along the crease. Place a few parsley and mint leaves next to the shrimp. Keep rolling the paper into a tight cylinder to seal.
- Repeat with remaining wrappers. Store with seam side down. Serve immediately with the peanut dipping sauce.
Image Description: All the ingredients prepared in separate bowls for shrimp spring rolls: thinly sliced carrots, rice noodles, shredded lettuce, herbs and rice paper.
Josie Caloma is a volunteer with BIST.