BY: JANET CRAIG
Beans on toast may be a hardcore British comfort food, but that doesn’t mean we can’t glam up the traditional dish on our side of the pond. Here’s Janet Craig’s take on a UK classic – and no worries mate – you’ll be chuffed at how easy this is to make!
- 1 can white kidney / cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 2 bay leaves,
- ½ cup white wine ( I use Vermouth)
- Salt and pepper, parsley to garnish
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup
- For meat eaters: 4 slices of bacon or grilled pancetta
- Lightly sauté onion and garlic in 1 tbsp oil until translucent
- Add the rinsed beans to the pan with wine & seasonings. Turn up the temperature on medium to simmer until wine is evaporating.
- Toast the bread & spread with butter & honey or maple syrup
- Plate the now glazed beans on toast topping with as much bacon as desired.
Chef Janet Craig recipes are simple, healthy, delicious and ABI friendly.
You can find out more about her HERE.